Thursday, January 24, 2013

DID I SAY TOO MUCH?

I think I might have said too much in my blog this week.  Im not retracting what I said because it was based on facts and experience of myself and of  many other Grandparents that I have come in contact with.  I believe my error in judgement may have been in speaking out about the State of Michigan and its Department of Human Services.  I said nothing that I havent repeated more than once directly to DHS department directors and supervisors in Lansing.  It is not something that has not been said to legislators But they have done nothing to change the situation.  In fact, I and other Board members had said we would not be quiet about the way Kinship caregivers are left unsupported in this State.   Publicly blogging it and tweeting it and having it reposted must be different, because I have found myself unable to post or message on an association's page that supports and lobbies for Kinship issues.  Im not quite sure I understand that.  But the uneasy feeling in myself that I somehow stepped out of line will keep me awake tonight..I am  sure I am not the first to have done this, and obviously I am not the only one who wants to quit because in all these years there has not been any improvement  for Kinship Caregivers or their families.  It is common knowledge to anyone who is a relative caregiver or who works with relative caregivers that the families need support and services and that even their most basic needs are not being met.  What distresses me is that why isnt the reasons for this not being talked about.  Why are relative caregivers-and Grandparent families not getting the necessary help?  How do you fix it without addressing the root of the problem? 

As I said in my previous blog:  I am out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment