Thursday, January 3, 2013

WHAT DID YOU SAY??

Something you wouldn't realize about a small child being raised by "more mature" parents is that they will pick up things that we don't realize we are doing. For instance, at two, Holden was groaning when he got up off the couch. Because Ed and I are both hearing "impaired?", things are always repeated at least twice, and loudly. Thus the GRANDMA, GRANDMA that precedes a comment. I wonder if he likes to hold my hand when we are walking more to keep me up to speed rather than for companionship. To copy a phrase used by my daughter's father in law, "no I dont want to play with you kids, I'm too fat, too tired, and too old." Now, if you are ever looking for a compliment from your grand kids, don't try that one. I guarantee, they will never give you a disclaimer on all three. His uh huh's and nuh uh's sounded so much alike to us that we worked diligently on "yes" or "no". That also can backfire as he expects you to answer in kind. I remember him asking a friends Dad, CAN I GO DOWN TO THE PLAYROOM? Uh huh. CAN I GO DOWN TO THE PLAYROOM? Uh huh.,,,over and over until he asked what do you want? I said yes, you can go to the playroom. SEE, he told our friend, YOUR SUPPOSED TO SAY YES OR NO!


Holden, please use your inside voice. THIS IS MY INSIDE VOICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment